Saturday, March 19, 2011

Book Review: The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver

Hello everyone. Today I finished reading The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver. Here is my review and I hope you enjoy:

+~~+
Plot: Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on...Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen. But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?

Review: A very powerful novel. The Demon Trapper's Daughter showed strength, smarts, and bravery. Riley Blackthorne was a extraordinary character that would put a lot other characters to shame. She was very smart, but I was wish she could have been a bit stronger when it came you her against the men in this story. There was also Paul Blackthorne, who I didn't learn much about, but what I did learn made me like him in many ways. Beck, who was Paul's apprentice was my favorite character in this story not just because of him caring so much for Riley, but also because the struggle he had had to go through with himself. Beck was very mysterious and never told Riley anything, unless it was a horrible moment and the only way to make her feel better was to tell something about himself to her that she never knew before. Simon was a good character, but he did annoy me at times and I am still wondering why Riley liked him so much because they didn't know each other for long and still the author tried to make it seem like their relationship was wonderful. I did enjoy the demons because of all their different personalities and the history they had between the Trappers and Hunters. The writing style really pulled me into this story with the battles, arguments, and hilarious jokes. I give this book a 5/5.

+~~+
Rating: 5/5 Stars!
Pub. Date: February 2011

Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Format: Paperback , 368pp
Chapters: 39
Age Range: Young Adult

1 comments:

Alison Can Read said...

I've heard great things about this book. I like really smart protags - I can deal with girls who aren't always super strong. The demon world sounds interesting.

Post a Comment

Countdown!

Iron Fey series!

Clockwork Angel Countdown

Morgyn's Wish List!